EXECUTIVE ORDER D-71-03
WHEREAS, the State is addressing a significant imbalance between revenues and expenditures; and
WHEREAS, the State must reduce costs to ensure the integrity of the budget and ensure that critical programs are adequately funded.
WHEREAS, when businesses are faced with an imbalance between revenues and increasing expenditures they take actions to reduce spending; and
WHEREAS, the State of California must take similar actions without delay to ensure that it lives within its means:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, GRAY DAVIS, Governor of the State of California, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me by the Constitution and statutes of the State of California, do hereby issue this order to become effective immediately:
- All State agencies and departments, regardless of funding source, are prohibited from filling any position that was vacant on 6/30/03 and from spending any associated savings that may generate from this freeze unless approved by the Department of Finance.
- Agency Secretaries and other Cabinet level positions will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the provisions of this Executive Order. For those departments that do not have Cabinet level representation, the Department of Finance will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the provisions of this Executive Order.
- The provisions of this Executive Order shall not apply to the Legislative and Judicial branches of government. However, I invite these branches of government to participate.
- For the purposes of this order, the University of California and the California State University System are requested to comply with the provisions of this Executive Order. Participation, however, should be limited to a level that will not interfere with meeting their educational mission.
- The Department of Finance is hereby directed to coordinate the implementation of this Executive Order and may issue management memos and grant exceptions from its provisions, as appropriate.
- The Department of Finance is hereby directed to request that the State Controller abolish all positions subject to this executive order, consistent with its authority under current law.
- The provisions of this Executive Order will terminate on June 30, 2004.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that as soon as hereafter possible, this order be filed in the Office of the Secretary of State and that widespread publicity and notice be given to this order.