WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU READ ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS PRIOR TO BEGINNING THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS.
After you begin the application process, you will have the ability to save your work and log back in later. To login you must first create an account by completing the first page of the application. If you have already done so and are returning to complete your application, you can login using the credentials you provided.
Failure to follow all of the instructions will delay or foreclose consideration of your application.
Before beginning the application process, you should:
- Make sure you have met the mandatory eligibility requirement to serve as a judge on a California court. “A person is ineligible to be a judge of a court of record unless for 10 years immediately preceding selection, the person has been a member of the State Bar or served as a judge of a court of record in this State.” Cal. Const, Art. VI, section 15 (2007). You must also be a member in good standing with the California State Bar. If you do not meet these two requirements, consideration of your application may be delayed or foreclosed.
- Review the entire application before completing it so that you will be familiar with the questions you will be asked. You may review the entire application at the “Review Worksheet” links provided below. These worksheets are for review purposes only and should not be submitted to the Governor’s Office.
- An answer to each question must be entered, or you will not be allowed to go to the next page of the application. If the answer is not applicable to you, enter N/A. You may not skip questions, but you can fill out an answer and edit it later in order to proceed to the next screen.
- If you need to return to a previous page, do NOT click your browser’s “back” button, instead select the page you wish to return to by clicking on the appropriate link in the menu located on the upper left side of the page. Returning to a previous page will cause you to lose any work done on your current page
- Be aware of the answers that are optional, and not required for you to answer.
- Answer the call of the question completely and truthfully. When in doubt about whether to provide the information requested, err on the side of disclosure.
- When entering certain dates in your application, you may be prompted to provide not only the relevant year, but also the day of the month and the month (e.g., 6/8/1999). If you do not recall the relevant day and/or month, you may simply enter a “1” as a placeholder for the day and/or month and then enter the relevant year (e.g., 1/1/1999).
- Complete the application and authorization and release form as you find it online. Do not delete, change, or alter any questions that are a part of the application.
Note: Your online access will be PERMANENTLY closed once you hit SUBMIT and you will NOT be able to login to obtain access to your application to make any more edits or changes. Press SUBMIT when prompted to do so in order for the application to be entered into the electronic database. None of the information can be viewed by the Governor’s Office until you have completed the online application process.
You may also inform us of any significant changes or corrections to your original application (e.g., change of address; notification of significant professional accomplishments, change of assignment that occurred after the original application was completed, etc.). Please email the information in letter format (do not re-apply online or send an updated application) to email@example.com.
NOTE: Please review and comply with the instructions provided at the end of the Questionnaire in order to be considered for appointment by Governor Newsom. Any applicant seeking a judicial appointment from Governor Newsom must complete and submit an application. The link to the applications can be found below. All applicants are required to submit an application for appointment in electronic form. Applicants must also scan and email a photograph, written materials and an Authorization and Release form to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who fail to comply with these instructions will not be considered for appointment.
The process of reviewing your application and supplemental documents is a lengthy one. Each application is given thorough and careful consideration. We ask for your patience while we consider the unique skills, experiences, and qualifications of each applicant, and the needs of the court.
Again, thank you for your willingness to serve the people of California in the important role of a judicial officer.
Superior Court Application
- Review Worksheet: Superior Court Worksheet.
- New Applications: Superior Court Application.
- To access a current administration, saved application: Login to Superior Court Application.
Attorney – Appellate Court Application
- Review Worksheet: Attorney Appellate Court Worksheet.
- New Applications: Attorney Appellate Court Application.
- To access a current administration, saved application: Login to Attorney Appellate Court Application.
Judicial Officer – Appellate Court Application
- Review Worksheet: Judicial Officer Appellate Court Worksheet.
- New Applications: Judicial Officer Appellate Court Application.
- To access a current administration, saved application: Login to Judicial Officer Appellate Court Application.
If you are an elected judge and would like to apply for an interim appointment, please call the Judicial Appointments unit at 916-324-7039.