First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom
Jennifer Siebel Newsom is the First Partner of California and a filmmaker and thought leader at the forefront of changing our society’s limiting gender stereotypes and norms. She wrote, directed, and produced the award-winning, evergreen documentaries “Miss Representation” and “The Mask You Live In” in addition to the soon to be released “The Great American Lie.” She also founded The Representation Project, a nonprofit that uses film and media to catalyze cultural transformation. Jennifer’s films have been seen by over 28 million people worldwide, and The Representation Project’s social action hashtag campaigns have reached more than 830 million people.
The Office of the First Partner is dedicated to lifting up women and their families, breaking down barriers for our youth, and furthering the cause of gender equity in California. For more information on the First Partner’s initiatives, click on the graphics below:
- Today: Teens Are Struggling with Pressures of the Pandemic, New Study Says
- USA Today: Teens Glued to Screens in COVID Pandemic Need Sleep and Reality Checks, Experts Say
- Fortune: California’s Board Diversity Law Led to 670 Board Seats Filled by Women, Report Finds
- Common Sense Media: Tweens, Teens, Tech, and Mental Health
- Glamour: ‘Make A Plan and Don’t Get Discouraged’ Megan Rapinoe and Jennifer Siebel Newsom on Staying Sane in 2020
- TIME: Why the Pay Gap for Working Moms Is a Race Issue Too
- Glamour: How a Middle School Teacher in Rural California Is Making It Work in Quarantine
- Glamour: How Rep. Katie Porter—Congress’s Only Single Mom—Is Making It Work in Quarantine
- CNN: Our Economic Recovery Depends On Policies That Benefit Women
- Comstock’s Magazine: Mending The Gap
- Glamour: It’s Time to Stop Treating Parenting as a Mom’s Burden and a Dad’s Adorable Hobby
- TIME: Wives of Political Leaders Have Long Been Called ‘First Ladies.’ California’s Jennifer Siebel Newsom Has Other Plans
- Associated Press: ‘No timidity’ for California governor’s wife on key causes
- Los Angeles Times: Jennifer Siebel Newsom will be California’s ‘first partner.’ Her agenda is cultural change
- San Francisco Chronicle: Jennifer Siebel Newsom encourages California businesses to boost women’s pay
Governor Newsom Signs Legislation Making California First in the Nation to Ban Toxic Chemicals in Cosmetics
AB 2762 bans 24 toxic chemicals in cosmetics, which are linked to negative long-term health impacts especially for women and children SB 312 requires companies selling beauty or personal care products to report the presence of hazardous ingredients Congress hasn’t...
Millions more Californians will now have access to job-protected Paid Family Leave Bill builds on 2019 extension of Paid Family Leave Benefits to eight weeks for a newborn child SACRAMENTO -- Governor Gavin Newsom today signed legislation ensuring millions more...
California Labor Commissioner, California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls and The Office of the First Partner Launch Workplace Rights Ambassador Project #EqualPayCA Trainings
Release Number: 2020-74August 31, 2020 California Labor Commissioner, California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls and The Office of the First Partner Launch Workplace Rights Ambassador Project #EqualPayCA TrainingsThe first event will be held in...
First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom Partners with Forward Into Light Campaign to Celebrate Suffrage Centennial: California State Capitol and City Halls Across the State to be Lit in Purple and Gold in Honor of the 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment
First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom and California Legislative Women’s Caucus leadership to light up State Capitol, host virtual celebration at 6 p.m. on August 26th in honor of 19th Amendment centennial Anaheim, Bakersfield, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Oakland,...
First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom to Host Exhibit Launch & 19th Amendment Centennial Celebration Webcast Tomorrow at the California Museum
Free event to feature the First Partner in discussion with Maria Shriver, Megan Rapinoe & Dolores Huerta, plus preview of new exhibits “Women Inspire: California Women Changing Our World” & “Fight for the Right: 100 Years of Women Voting” SACRAMENTO – The...
California Puts Money Back Into the Pockets of Millions of Working Californians Amid COVID-19 Recession
Over $1 billion goes back into the pockets of more than 3.6 million Californians and their families, through the California Earned Income Tax Credit and Young Child Tax Credit Nearly half a million families with children under the age of six benefit from the new Young...
State Superintendent Tony Thurmond, First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom, and State Board President Linda Darling-Hammond Launch “Advance SEL in California,” a Social and Emotional Learning Campaign
Release: #20-37May 21, 2020Contact: Cynthia ButlerE-mail: email@example.comPhone: 916-319-0818 State Superintendent Tony Thurmond, First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom, and State Board President Linda Darling-Hammond Launch "Advance SEL in...
For Immediate ReleaseJune 12, 2020Contact: Cristina Valdivia Aguilar, firstname.lastname@example.org, (916) 508-9018 California Volunteers Announces “Summer of Service” for Young Californians SACRAMENTO – First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom and Chief Service...
First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom and California State Library Launch Five-Week Summer Reading Challenge
SACRAMENTO -- First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom today launched a five-week summer reading challenge designed to keep California’s families learning and engaged by “checking out” their community libraries. Families are encouraged to sign up for their local...
Governor Newsom and First Partner Siebel Newsom Announce New and Expanded Support for Victims of Domestic Violence
State expanding capacity for Californians to text 911 for emergency services – a critical tool for domestic violence victims. 75% of California now covered New public and private funding for organizations addressing domestic violence and the role of women in...