First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom
The Office of the First Partner is dedicated to lifting up women and their families, breaking down barriers for our youth, and furthering the cause of gender equity in California.
A thought leader at the forefront of changing our society’s limiting gender stereotypes and norms, Jennifer Siebel Newsom wrote, directed, and produced the award-winning, evergreen documentaries “Miss Representation,” “The Mask You Live In,” and “The Great American Lie.” In 2020 she founded the California Partners Project, which champions gender equity across the state and ensures the state’s media and technology industries are a force for good in the lives of all children. She also founded The Representation Project, a nonprofit that uses film and media to catalyze cultural transformation. Jennifer’s films have been seen by over 28 million people worldwide, and The Representation Project’s social action hashtag campaigns have reached more than 830 million people.
For more information on the First Partner’s initiatives, click on the graphics below:
- Bay Area Reporter: SF lesbian pioneers Lyon, Martin inducted into CA Hall of Fame
- KTVU: Jerry Garcia, Ruth Asawa among California Hall of Fame inductees
- Stockton Record: Stockton activist, Filipino leader Larry Itliong inducted into California Hall of Fame
- ABC 10: Musicians Jerry Garcia, Ritchie Valens and Labor activist Larry Itliong among California Hall of Fame inductees
- CBS Sacramento: Richie Valens, Jerry Garcia Among 2021 California Hall Of Fame Inductees
- Politico Playbook: Hall of Famers
- Sacramento Bee: Jerry Garcia: Hall of Famer + California’s next century + XPO settles with drivers
- Fox 40: Ruth Asawa, Ritchie Valens among latest California Hall of Fame honorees
- SF Chronicle: California Hall of Fame inducts Bay Area notables Jerry Garcia, Ruth Asawa, Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon
- Sacramento Bee: They blazed a trail for gay marriage. Now they’re in California’s Hall of Fame
- New York Magazine: “I Should Have Quit Way Before Tokyo,” September 27–October 10
- KTVU: ‘Momnibus’: Gov. Newsom signs law providing income, doulas for free for CA mothers
- ABC 7: New California law aims to reduce deaths among Black moms
- KTLA: Newsom signs ‘Momnibus’ bill that aims to reduce deaths among Black mothers
- Sacramento Bee: Gavin Newsom signs law to help new California moms, prevent infant deaths
- CBS SF Bay Area: California Offering Free Access To 19 State Parks To 4th Graders And Their Families Under New Program
- USA Today: California State Park Adventure Pass: Which parks offer free access to the state’s fourth graders?
- Lake County News: Clear Lake State Park among 19 state parks to be included in new Adventure Pass program
- The Stockton Record: California 4th-graders and their families can get into these 19 state parks for free
- Fox 40: Free passes available for California fourth graders, families to visit 19 state parks
- EdSource: Fourth graders and their families can attend 19 state parks with free pass
- KCRA 3: California families with fourth-graders can get a free pass to 19 state parks
- ABC 10: California fourth graders and their families can get a free annual pass to visit 19 state parks
- Sacramento Bee: Got an outdoors-loving fourth-grader? Here’s how to get into state parks for free this year
- KEYT: 4th graders and families can sign up for free State Park passes
- Yuba Net: Fourth Graders and Their Families Invited to Explore 19 State Parks for Free
- New York Times: California Today Newsletter
- Ms. Magazine: First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom on Gender Justice, Feminist Backlash and the Future of Women’s Leadership
- Forbes: Achieving A Gender Just World: Thought Leaders Provide Actionable Ways To Break Through Equality’s Biggest Barriers
- Forbes: Envisioning A Gender Just World: Global Thought Leaders Weigh In
- CNBC: California Partners Project co-founder on women’s representation on corporate boards and closing the gender pay gap
- The Press Democrat: California fourth graders to receive free annual pass to 19 state parks
- ABC 10: California fourth graders to receive free annual pass to 19 state parks
- KRON 4: California 4th graders will have free access to 19 state parks
- KBAK: Newsom makes stop at Bakersfield fitness center
- 23 ABC: Gov. Newsom discusses mental and physical health during visit to Bakersfield
- KGET 17: Newsom, in Bakersfield to talk economic and physical health, says Schwarzenegger need not be California’s only ‘fitness governor’
- Bakersfield Californian: Gov. Gavin Newsom makes stop at Bakersfield gym: ‘Renew your membership’
- Sacramento Bee: New physical fitness and mental well-being council targets Californians’ health
- La Opinión: Debemos abrir las puertas de oportunidad para todas las familias
- Bay Area Reporter: CA summer reading program to kick off with LGBTQ children’s book
- EdSource: First Partner Jennifer Newsom launches statewide summer book club with local libraries
- Inside California Education: Social Emotional Learning
- Forbes: Twitter, Mattel And Adobe Sign Equal Pay Pledge
- Spectrum News: On Equal Pay Day, California’s First Partner Shares Commitment to Closing Pay Gap
- Comstock’s Magazine: Economic Recovery Must Focus on Women
- Today: Teens Are Struggling with Pressures of the Pandemic, New Study Says
- USA Today: Teens Glued to Screens in COVID Pandemic Need Sleep and Reality Checks, Experts Say
- Fortune: California’s Board Diversity Law Led to 670 Board Seats Filled by Women, Report Finds
- Common Sense Media: Tweens, Teens, Tech, and Mental Health
- Glamour: ‘Make A Plan and Don’t Get Discouraged’ Megan Rapinoe and Jennifer Siebel Newsom on Staying Sane in 2020
- TIME: Why the Pay Gap for Working Moms Is a Race Issue Too
- Glamour: How a Middle School Teacher in Rural California Is Making It Work in Quarantine
- Glamour: How Rep. Katie Porter—Congress’s Only Single Mom—Is Making It Work in Quarantine
- CNN: Our Economic Recovery Depends On Policies That Benefit Women
- Comstock’s Magazine: Mending The Gap
- Glamour: It’s Time to Stop Treating Parenting as a Mom’s Burden and a Dad’s Adorable Hobby
- TIME: Wives of Political Leaders Have Long Been Called ‘First Ladies.’ California’s Jennifer Siebel Newsom Has Other Plans
- Associated Press: ‘No timidity’ for California governor’s wife on key causes
- Los Angeles Times: Jennifer Siebel Newsom will be California’s ‘first partner.’ Her agenda is cultural change
- San Francisco Chronicle: Jennifer Siebel Newsom encourages California businesses to boost women’s pay
Ruth Asawa, Jerry Garcia, Larry Itliong, Phyllis Lyon, Del Martin & Ritchie Valens posthumously inducted during a webcast & celebrated in a new website with online exhibitions SACRAMENTO — Governor Gavin Newsom and First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom today...
Contacts:First Partner’s OfficeDaisy A. VieyraDaisy.Vieyra@gov.ca.govNatural Resources AgencyLisa Lien-MagerLisa.Lien-Mager@resources.ca.govState ParksGloria Sandovalnewsroom@parks.ca.gov For Immediate Release: 9/29/2021 APPLY NOW TO RECEIVE...
Outdoor Access for All: California Establishes New Pilot Programs to Expand Youth Access to State Parks
California State Park Adventure Pass gives fourth graders in the state free annual pass to 19 California State Parks State Library Parks Pass provides free day-use state park passes to libraries across California for library cardholders SACRAMENTO -- Today, Governor...
California Roars Back: Governor Newsom Launches New Advisory Council on Physical Fitness and Mental Well-Being with Co-Chairs First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom and 10-Time Pro Bowler Ronnie Lott
Governor announces new advisory council while visiting Central Valley health club now open at full capacity BAKERSFIELD – With California’s economy fully reopened and most COVID-19 restrictions lifted at gyms and fitness centers, Governor Gavin Newsom today announced...
First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom Launches Summer Book Club with California State Library and First 5
California families are invited to join the First Partner for virtual storytimes, participate in their local libraries’ summer reading programs SACRAMENTO – California First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom today announced the First Partner’s Summer Book Club, a new...
Launched by California First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom and the California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls, the Pledge Boasts Over 60 Signatories Sacramento, CA – California First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom and the California Commission on the...
CALIFORNIA FIRST PARTNER JENNIFER SIEBEL NEWSOM AND CDFA SECRETARY KAREN ROSS HEADLINE STATE FARM TO SCHOOL CONFERENCE
Conference program underscores strategies to expand food access, increase equity, lift student voices, and open school markets to specialty crop producers First Partner and Secretary Ross lead a newly formed working group focused on expanding farm to school...
Governor Newsom Signs Legislation Making California First in the Nation to Ban Toxic Chemicals in Cosmetics
AB 2762 bans 24 toxic chemicals in cosmetics, which are linked to negative long-term health impacts especially for women and children SB 312 requires companies selling beauty or personal care products to report the presence of hazardous ingredients Congress hasn’t...
Millions more Californians will now have access to job-protected Paid Family Leave Bill builds on 2019 extension of Paid Family Leave Benefits to eight weeks for a newborn child SACRAMENTO -- Governor Gavin Newsom today signed legislation ensuring millions more...
California Labor Commissioner, California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls and The Office of the First Partner Launch Workplace Rights Ambassador Project #EqualPayCA Trainings
Release Number: 2020-74August 31, 2020 California Labor Commissioner, California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls and The Office of the First Partner Launch Workplace Rights Ambassador Project #EqualPayCA TrainingsThe first event will be held in...